RECIPE : Tofu Poke Bowl
Tips on how to cook and prepare Tofu
Although tofu is really healthy it can taste rather bland. Here are a few things you need to do to make it taste amazing:
- Drain tofu. Most tofu comes packed in water, so it is very important to drain the block as much as possible. A water-logged block of tofu won’t absorb a marinade and will also not go crispy when fried.
- To drain: line a cutting board with a paper towel or lint-free tea towel, place tofu on towel and fold the towel over the tofu. Place a heavy object on top (eg another cutting board, topped with a cast iron pan or cookbook) to help the tofu drain. Leave the tofu to drain for a minimum of 30 minutes, preferably at least 1-2 hours. You can keep it in the fridge until you are ready to make dinner.
- Marinate the tofu. Once you’ve pressed the tofu, it is ready to absorb flavour. Make a marinade with oil, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, honey etc.
- If you want to get crispy tofu you need to toss it in cornstarch before frying.
- Make sure the pan and oil is very hot, before adding the tofu. This will also help to get a crispier texture.
- Make sure to use an oil that can handle the high temperatures and can add some flavour. Two great options are: sesame oil (for a nutty flavour) and coconut oil.
- Alternatively, bake in the oven at 200°C for 25-30 minutes until crispy.
- Make sure to season the tofu generously. Sprinkle tofu with salt after searing.
Tofu Poke Bowl
1 cup rice
1 cup edamame beans, just defrost or place in hot water
1 mango, diced
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
2 blocks/jars of extra firm tofu
1-2 tbsp cornstarch
salt and pepper
fresh coriander and black sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1/2 chilli finely chopped (optional)
2 tbsp sugar or maple syrup
small knob of fresh ginger, crushed
1 clove garlic, crushed
juice of 1/2 lime
For the tofu:
- Drain tofu as recommended above.
- Cube tofu.
- Gently toss tofu with the corn starch until coated.
- Arrange on a baking sheet lined with baking paper or a silicone sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Roast at 220°C for 20-30 minutes, until the tofu is slightly crisp.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Stir in the tofu and cover with the dressing.
For the bowl:
- Cook the rice.
- Prepare all the vegetables and fruit.
- Now it is time to assemble your bowl, get creative with the different colours and flavours.
- Lastly, drizzle the leftover dressing over the assembled bowl and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Recipe by Wooden Spoon Kitchen