RECIPE : Chocolate and Buckwheat Granola
What is Buckwheat?
Buckwheat belongs to a group of foods commonly called pseudocereals. Pseudocereals are seeds that are consumed as cereal grains but don’t grow on grasses. Other common pseudocereals include quinoa and amaranth.
Despite its name, buckwheat is not related to wheat and is thus gluten-free. Buckwheat has become popular as a health food due to its high mineral and antioxidant content. Its benefits may include improved blood sugar control. The nutritional value of buckwheat is considerably higher than that of many other grains.
Chocolate and Buckwheat Granola
1 1/2 cups raw buckwheat groats
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup chopped raw nuts or seeds, or just use pecan nuts
2 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
¼ cup peanut butter
1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 160'C.
- To save on washing up, add all the dry ingredients to a large baking tray (lined with a silicone lining). Don't add the coconut flakes and chocolate chips just yet.
- Add peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil on top of the dry ingredients.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and after about 5 minutes stir the melted honey, peanut butter, and coconut oil into the mixture.
- Bake the granola for about 30-40 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. In the last 10 minutes add the coconut shavings.
- Once the granola is brown and crunchy leave it to cool down in the baking tray. Once cool add the chocolate chips or dried fruit.
- Keep the granola in an airtight container. Enjoy with a smoothie bowl, yoghurt and fruit or as a dry snack.
Recipe by Wooden Spoon Kitchen
Other recipe ideas for buckwheat:
- If you have a strong blender you can make your own Buckwheat flour from the groats to use in baking.
- Use buckwheat groats as a salad topper, it has a lovely crunchy texture
- Make buckwheat pancakes
- Buckwheat porridge
- Homemade cocoa pops
- Mushroom buckwheat risotto
- Cook buckwheat perfect every time with this recipe and use in salads
- Buckwheat flatbreads
- Vegan burgers
- Chocolate bars